India bowed down to South Africa in Freedom Series for ODI Matches as they did in T20I Series to the same opponent. Indian team was demolished by Proteas in every aspect of the game thus South Africans winning the Gandhi-Mandela Freedom ODI Series by 3-2.
India Vs South Africa: India surrenders to South Africa
Indian Team’s performance in recent times has been a roller coaster ride with Indian players performing exceptionally well at times and then easily surrendering to the opponents at others. India performed in a similar manner in the 5 Match ODI Series against South Africa as well with winning 2nd and 4th ODI while losing others to Proteas hence allowing Africans to win their first Bilateral ODI Series in India.
India Vs South Africa 5th ODI: Freedom Series
South Africa won the final ODI Match of Freedom Series in a comprehensive way which also meant, India getting its one of the most embarrassing on field moments as India lost the match by huge margin of 225 runs.
South Africa batted first to post the total of 438, Thanks to the four centurions i.e. Quinton De Kock (109), Faf Du Plessis (133 Retired hurt), AB De Villiers (119) and Bhuvneshwar Kumar (105 in 10 overs). The total was second highest by Proteas and 3 highest for all time in ODIs.
India had to bat their skin out but with least possibility of win, Indians surrendered to Africans with only Ajinkya Rahane (87) and Shikhar Dhawan (60) showing some mettle to struggle though efforts weren’t enough and India lost the match by 225 runs as they were out for mere 224 in 36 over.
Reasons for South Africa’s series win and India’s loss
- The first and the most vital point has to be AB De Villiers. AB has been in purple patch for all his career and 3 centuries in 5 ODIs by the Captain seals the win for any side.
- Consistency of Proteas batters is another reason for South Africa’s success as De Kock and Faf have done everything right in this series while De Villiers presence easily resembles consistency.
- Indian Teams inconsistency led to India’s loss in the ODI Series as none of the Indian batter was as consistent as Faf, AB or Kock.
- Indian opening pair didn’t perform as Rohit was good in few matches but Dhawan’s miserable form led to India’s dismal performance. Virat had two good innings to his name, while Rahane was only consistent to some extent.
- Middle order was mediocre with Raina performing in just one match while Dhoni having only one inning to be proud of and low order is nothing to talk about.
- Indian bowling attack has been a weak point which again haunted India’s cause.
Keep visiting us and comment about the article and its relevance.